If you are looking for the perfect summer recipe to feed your family at the campground, this delicious and refreshing summer camping recipe is just what you need. The chicken and sausage pair beautifully with this mix of fruit and veggies to create a healthy, easy recipe for your crew.
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 4 tsp minced ginger
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp salt.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 polish kielbasa sausages — we use turkey sausages
- 1 red onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 can of pineapple chunks
- 1 pink lady apple
Note: I highly recommend using metal skewers instead of bamboo because they are reusable and don’t require soaking beforehand.
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and stir until well blended.
- Wash all produce thoroughly and then chop into 1″ pieces or chunks.
- Slice the sausage and then cube the chicken breast.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl, baking dish, or divide into two large Ziploc bags. We use a bag because it’s easier to coat the ingredients thoroughly. Allow the ingredients to soak while you get the fire ready.
- You’ll want to build a strong fire and then spread the coals out to allow a greater cooking surface under the grill. Once the fire is burning low, but the coals are still hot, start assembling your kebabs.
- Divide your ingredients up by type on the kebabs to ensure more even cooking. The veggies, fruit, and sausage will all cook substantially faster than the chicken breast, so it is best to cook this way. Additionally, leave a space between each chicken chunk to give the heat plenty of space to reach the chicken and cook it through.
- Add the remaining marinade to a pot and set it on the grill to heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 cup of water if needed.
- Veggies, fruit, and sausage all need to cook until they are tender and warm through. This should take 5-10 minutes depending on the heat of your fire, rotating frequently to avoid burning. You’ll want a bit of a char without burning, so use a food brush to coat them in the marinade sauce you’ve made.
- The chicken must be heated to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Rotate frequently to ensure even cooking, and coat with the sauce every rotation.
- When all of your ingredients are off the fire — USE GLOVES — it’s time to remove them from the kebabs. Now everyone can grab the fruit, veggies, and meats they want and enjoy a delicious, refreshing meal by the fire!
Tip: Use flour tortillas with this dish to make them easy to eat!
No matter where your summer adventures take you, you’ll love having this easy summer recipe in your cooking arsenal! Contact us today if you are looking for an excellent RV for your travels.