Sometimes hot dogs and burgers just don’t hit the spot. If you’re looking for a new recipe for your camping trip to spice up your summer menu, check out this Italian Dutch over chicken that is easy to make and will bring everyone back for seconds!
Recipe adapted from one on FreshOffTheGrid.com
- 1 c. chopped prunes
- 1 c. olives, pitted & halved
- ½ c. dry white wine
- ¼ c. capers
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- Before leaving home, make the marinade for the chicken and allow it to set for up to 48 hours before you’re ready to add it to the Dutch oven.
- To make the marinade, add the prunes, olives, white wine, capers, vinegar, garlic, oregano, bay leaves, and salt to a freezer bag.
- Smash to combine and add the chicken thighs. Massage the marinade into the chicken to coat thoroughly.
- Place in the refrigerator until you’re ready to add to the Dutch oven.
- At the campground, build a strong campfire and add around 27 coals to the fire. When they’re heated through and ready to use create a flat area with the coals and place the Dutch oven on top.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the Dutch oven and heat until it sizzles when sprinkled with water.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and lightly coat the skins of the thighs with brown sugar.
- Place the chicken in the Dutch oven, skin side down, and brown until the skin is golden brown and crispy. Approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Flip, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the fire with heat resistant gloves and add the remaining marinade.
- Cover, and arrange a bed of 9 coals to set the Dutch oven on top of, then place 18 coals on the lid to bake the chicken and marinade.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotating the Dutch oven and the lid periodically to prevent uneven baking. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
- I highly recommend serving with a bed of Israeli pearly couscous and steamed broccoli.
Contact us today to find the perfect RV to take your family to the campground this summer.